Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Short Update...

No pictures this time, sadly. We'll have to take a few more :)

The boys had their second pediatrician's appointment this morning, and Colin has gained a whopping 11 ounces since last Wednesday!? If they weren't recording it, I simply wouldn't believe it... that's absolutely shocking. Keith is now up over 5 pounds, and both are starving most of the time - we're trying to keep up with them. The NICU had suggested we start feeding them every 4 hours, but as the boys are demanding to be fed up to an hour before they're due to be fed, I doubt anyone of us could last that long!

Miss Evelyn is still in the hospital. She had another spell on Monday, and her release date has been changed accordingly. She looks so amazing and alert :) They aren't sure why she's still having her apnea episodes. It could be nothing more than her prematurity, but she also has a lowish hemoglobin count which could be a contributing factor. They would like to see her resolve this on her own and aren't planning to intervene medically at the moment. While most preemies are supposed to outgrown their apnea spells at 35 weeks (and the babies are now 36 weeks 3 days), the fact that she's one of three means that she generally acts about two weeks behind her gestational age. We'll see how she does over the next few days...

I'm up to my ears in overdue thank-you notes, and I'm hoping I can squeeze a few in before the 2pm feed. Edward's mother has been here since Sunday, and it's a great help to have food prepared, the mountains of laundry done and the house tidy so we can focus on getting our act together with the babies. Edward is starting his 6 months of leave on Monday and I can hardly wait!! It is a financial hit, because at the moment, EI will not allow him to claim parental leave alongside me but it's a sacrifice we're willing to make. We're very fortunate to even have this option, and I'm so thrilled that Edward will have the opportunity to spend so much quality time with the babies :)

2 comments:

  1. Just dropping by to let you know the photos are beautiful! The babies are all doing so darn well and I know your little girl will be home with you all very, very soon.

    And YAY for Edward getting time off to spend with you and the babies. I know he'll enjoy bonding with them just as much as you do. So much happens in the first 6-8 months, it'll be wonderful that you'll both get to experience it. And having those first six months together will let you both get into a routine together that (hopefully) will be easy enough for you to handle alone when he returns to work.

    Much love to you all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandra,
    I'm not sure you remember me but I worked with you in TR. Congratulations on your triplets. They are beautiful! I had twins three years ago and I can relate a wee bit to your story. Our daughter, Caryss, was born at 2.13 and our son Quinn was 5.13. Caryss was in the hospital for a month and came home at 4.8. Quinn was in for a week. Both are happy and healthy and a joy. I wish you and your husband all the best and I look forward to reading the updates on your blog.

    Julie (Ferguson) Durnan

    ReplyDelete