Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Nursery... Finally!

The fabric book slings that I sewed... by hand. For some reason, the photo is crooked. At least, I hope it's the photo and not the slings! Those books will look familiar to some of you. We looove books, so thanks for adding to our fledgling library :)
The nursery at night. I chose the fabric for those huge pillows (they will go on the floor once the babies are home), and I made the paper star mobiles. Hanging them was a bit of a chore, but I think they look pretty good. There are another three stars on the other side of the room. I found the organic pillow fabric, the custom-made quilt and the adorable animal prints on the wall on Etsy (aka my secret ingredient!). The cribs are IKEA, and were very easy to assemble. They will convert to toddler beds, too.
A more telling shot. We only have fitted sheets on the cribs at present. At the advice of the hospital staff, we're going to wrap the babies in fleece and cover them with one blanket. The basic rule of thumb for preemies is as much clothing on the baby and as little covering the baby as possible.

So after a very frantic effort on my part, the nursery is pretty much finished! Well, this side of the room. You may recall we added a built-in unit on the other side. It's fully loaded with diapers, blankets, bath stuff, bibs, baskets for booties, sweaters and hats, etc. However, it still needs some final tidying up before I post a few pics, so stay tuned.

The only nursery project I didn't finish was the sampler. I'm really sad about that, as it features one of my favourite poems, Children Learn What They Live. It is very labour intensive, and although I plugged away for over 50 hours, it's only half done. I doubt at this point it will ever get finished, but such is life - and the mere beginning of many unfinished projects to come, I'm sure! But apart from that, I'm really pleased with the finished product. Many people told me that gender neutral nurseries would have to be green or yellow (read: boring), but I knew that I could pull it off with a myriad of bright colours, and even a little pink and blue. I wanted a cosy and vintagey feel, and of course, knowing the number of hours I'd spent staring at those walls, I'd have to love it. And I do!

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Any baby (or three) would love to hang out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra, when you have a spare moment I could really use your design expertise in Toronto. I still haven't hung up pictures in my bedroom!
    -Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! You've done a really nice job! Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done! Now we just need to see some sweet wee babies filling those cribs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG. I heart your nursery! Ours is a boring gender neutral green! We never bothered to paint it from the previous owners and ever since our baby moved in I wish we had painted it white / cream.

    ReplyDelete