Wednesday, September 15, 2010

30 weeks!

Edward and I went in this afternoon for our 30 week appointment and measurement ultrasound. We hadn't had the babies measured in two and a half weeks, so I was a little nervous and hoped they'd grown substantially. Both of us were amazed at how crowded it is in there at present. They are essentially in one big jumble, although still roughly in the same positions. It was incredibly difficult to get all the images required in one go, so she had to search quite extensively to find the best angles. The good news is that all three have grown considerably. The award for the largest growth spurt goes to Baby A. And we *do* have one baby over 3 pounds: surprise, surprise, it's our Big Bruiser Baby B who weighed in at 3lb 3 ounces! Baby A sits in the middle as per usual at 2lb 13 ounces, and Baby C continues to be "petite" and weighed in at 2lb 8 ounces. I wasn't particularly pleased with Baby C's results, but our OB isn't concerned in the slightest because the baby continues to grow according to its anticipated trajectory. In fact, it went from being in the 14th percentile for weight to being in the 18th this week. Anything over 10 is considered "normal".

In even better news, all three babies scored 8/8 on their bioprofile tests! Everyone had great activity levels (that is an understatement - they were whopping it up in there!), great muscle tone, they were all practicing their breathing and their heart rates were excellent. Not only that, but my cervix has lengthened to 3.4cm - 3.7cm when Baby A graciously decided to moved it's head off of it! My blood pressure was 106 over 72, so that's another good result.

The OB was reviewing my anemia blood test during our discussion on the risks of c-section deliveries, and would like to see me on an iron supplement in addition to my other vitamins. He's hoping that it will reduce the chance I would require a blood transfusion if I have more bleeding than they anticipate once they start the surgery. Basically, the major risks during a c-section are similar to other surgeries: possibility of blood clots is the most common (and the most dangerous), a risk of infection, hemorrhage or meningitis. He told us that because my uterus is so distended and I have three placentas to remove, hemorrhage is a distinct possibility, but reassured us they have a lot of strategies to cope with this scenario. To be honest, I'm not too concerned with the operation mostly because I know that there is no other way to deliver these babies safely, and I've had 20 weeks to come to terms with that reality. I'm also in very good hands :)

All in all, we couldn't have hoped for a better appointment! Our high-risk nurse informed us that based on her experience, she thinks we'll make it to October 15th!! I know it's just an opinion, but that gives me hope :)

Our next appointment is September 22 for a bioprofile ultrasound and consult... 31 weeks is looming right around the corner!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great! Way to go, Sandra and the babies!

    ReplyDelete