Wednesday, September 1, 2010

28 Weeks... and a Date :)

This week's ultrasound was not a full "growth scan" because they did that during my unscheduled ultrasound on Friday, and they need at least 10 days between scans to measure the growth appropriately. Instead, they performed a biophysical profile in which they grade each baby on a number of factors, including amniotic fluid levels, activity levels, practice breathing sessions, etc. I'm very pleased to say that all the babies passed with flying colours, although we weren't able to see Baby B attempt to breath at this juncture. However on Friday, the tech noted that it was doing exactly that during the scan - and it's really at this point that they first start that reflex - so no one was too concerned that we weren't able to check that box today. My next growth scan is September 15, at my 30 week appointment. I have a monitoring appointment next Wednesday, which will not include an ultrasound.

The babies were very active in there! And, of course, they are rapidly running out of personal space. It was cute to see that despite their cramped quarters, Baby A had its leg fully stretched, with the other one slightly bent. Baby C has also gained a little more room by flipping itself from "head to maternal left" to the right side so that no one is kicking it in the head anymore. Smart baby! Of course, Baby B still holds the lion's share of real estate, and continues to hold court on my entire left side. Its facing my spine, so various and sundry internal organs are well within its range...

My cervix is holding at 3 cm, but Babies A and B are quite low in my uterus, which translates into a lot of pressure on my cervix. They may check it manually at next week's appointment if I continue to have strong contractions - right now, they're Braxton Hicks, ie. false labour contractions, but even so, they could alter my cervix length. As of now, I'm still not on bedrest per se, although I'm taking it very easy; only going downstairs in the morning and not returning upstairs until bedtime. I'm also increasingly tired, so although I get up with Edward and have breakfast, I'm usually zonked out on the couch from 9am to 11am, and again before dinner. My body is *definitely* feeling the stress of the pregnancy at this point, and although I feel really, really good, the 46 pounds I've gained to date is a challenge to lug around :) My blood pressure was very good today - 110 over 64 - and I passed my Gestational Diabetes and anemia tests with flying colours, so the strain doesn't appear to be too heavy on anything other than my legs... and my cervix ;)

Other than seeing the babies moving and shaking, the BEST part of today's appointment was the scheduling of my c-section! The babies will be born October 15, which is a mere 44 days away! I am SO very very excited to have a date. This pregnancy is as much a mental game as a physical one, and having a specific date to focus on is a major mental boost. Of course, no one can say for sure if I'll make it to 34 weeks, but I am obsessed with the idea of getting there. Those of you who know me well, can attest to how... um... persistent I can be when I get an idea lodged in my tiny brain ;) In fact, if they are delivered on the 15th, they'll be 34 weeks and 4 days, and considering that every day in utero counts, they'll be even bigger and healthier than if they were born at 34 weeks.

Next hurdle is reaching 30 weeks, which means I'd be able to deliver at the Civic. Delivering before then would mean that I'd have to go to the General, which would be very disappointing for us. Ah well, "one day at a time" is how we got through the last 28 weeks... what's two more?!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, it's nuts to have a day...but it is something to focus on and work towards. Good on taking it easy -- it is probably that you have taken such good care of yourself that you haven't had too many problems yet. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby C must be the middle baby then, the smart one, but it sounds like Baby B will be trouble... Making a note on my calendar as I type! Hang in there! Konrad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! How wonderful! I'm so thrilled that things are moving along okay. You and Edward must be awestruck at all this... still! I hope preparations are coming along (love the setup in the room by the way)! I'm sure the coming month or so will be full of anticipation and excitement. I'm keeping fingers crossed that all continues to go well. Keep us posted please. And as you know, I'm in the city so if you need ANYTHING at all, don't hesitate to ask. I am back at work now that our daughter is one year old, but I'm still following your story and I'm always here if you need me. Much love to you and Edward and the babies too!
    Gil (aka Jiliana), Hubby and Petite

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura: Yes, the date is a huge motivator! I got my surgery instructions at the last appointment, so it seems even more real :)

    Hello Konrad! I think Baby B will also be a bit of a brute ;) The nurses were telling me, though, that in their experience, the fact that Baby C has received the short end of the stick for most of the pregnancy means it might turn out to be the scrappiest and the bossiest of the trio! Eek.

    Gil: Thanks for finding me here and for your offer of assistance! I can't believe that Petite is over a year old!! Wow. Time flies - except when you're waiting for a due date :) In any case, I hope to keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete