Sunday, June 7, 2015

A Difficult Time

Hello all,

My father, beloved Opa, had a serious stroke last night.  He survived, but despite the surgeon's best efforts, they were unable to remove the large clot.  We are presently unsure of the extent of his brain injury.

Luckily, my mother reacted extremely quickly when she realized he was having a stroke, and in doing so, saved his life.  He is receiving top-notch care at the Civic Hospital, and we are all very grateful that that facility is close to both my parents' house, and ours.

I visited him this morning, and he is conscious.  However, the left side of his body is paralyzed.  The nurse believes we will see additional improvement over the next 48 hours.  He is having a CAT scan this evening.

We were very fortunate that my sister, who will be relocating from Petawawa to Colorado Springs in early August, was flying home from Colorado via Ottawa last night and was able to come to the hospital.

We had a lovely dinner at my parents' house last night before the stroke, and I am savouring the memory of rambunctious kids, Opa's ever generous dessert helpings and lots of laughter and happy mayhem.  That memory is keeping me afloat in this difficult time.

At present, I'm not sure if we will have the open house birthday party for Malcolm on the 13th as planned.  It will depend on how the week unfolds.   I will update accordingly.




No comments:

Post a Comment