Monday, January 21, 2013

Baby Z - 18w Ultrasound

I was hoping to have an ultrasound picture to share, but when it came time to smile for the camera, Baby Z promptly buried its head and played peekaboo.

Today was our big Anatomy Scan - and hopefully, our last u/s with this little one.  The technician spent time finding kidneys (check), a 4 chambered heart (check), the bladder (check), brain (check), the umbilical cord and other essential structures as well as guesstimating weight and gestational size.  Baby Z is tracking slightly ahead in abdomen and head measurements (in the words of my OBGYN, the perfect Hobbit), and is currently tipping the scales at 9oz.  For comparison purposes, at the same ultrasound Keith was 8oz and Evelyn and Colin were 7oz.  

Everything else looked great, too.  My placenta has shifted and is no longer classified as "low lying", and my blood pressure was non-existent in one arm, so the OBGYN had to try the other arm and gave me a passing grade (104/60).  The baby's heart rate was a solid 146 beats per minute, and we got to see it on the ultrasound and hear it on the doppler.  Baby Z was definitely having a mellow day, although for the most part, its making sure I don't get too comfortable - its feet are within striking distance of my bladder, and its head is inching its way into my ribs.  Of course, nothing quite compares to having Evelyn spend my entire previous pregnancy happily ensconced deep in my ribs, merrily kicking away, but I know I'm in for it with this one as well ;)

Good news all around.  We feel deeply grateful.

2 comments:

  1. A quick reminder intro.......this Kay from Colorado. I left a comment on your blog last March. A enthusiastic CONGRATS to you and Edward! I am so happy for the both of you on your impending new one. I enjoyed catching up with your blog. Reading about you and your little ones brings back many happy and harrowing experiences with my three. Although I did not have triplets I went through the medical end of it with each one. You and I are at opposite ends of the parenting scale it seems. Your babies just turning two and I sent my oldest off to college again after Christmas holiday break. Here's wishing you a happy, healthy pregnancy.

    Kind Wishes
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the best wishes, Kay. I do often wonder about how this will all seem in retrospect; when I will stand where you are now. Very bittersweet thinking about them growing up and moving on. Before I had them, someone told me that "motherhood is about letting go", and that didn't make sense to me at that time. But it does now. It's always good to have a reminder that for better or worse, life is a dynamic force onto itself.

    ReplyDelete