Saturday, November 6, 2010

We're Hanging In!

Yesterday was one of Those Days... it started with the dog making a rather stinky mess on the living room carpet, and ended with me stepping barefoot in dog pee as I crawled into bed sometime after midnight - just in time for the 2am feed. The dog is housetrained... he's just having adjustment issues now that he's realized that those squawking interlopers aren't going anywhere.

In between, there was an overtired Monkey who spent the entire day either eating or in someone's arms, a fussy Pumpkin who screamed himself hoarse and a Sweet Pee (Pea?) who lived up to her name and then some. On the bright side, we got to try out the Blue Celery sling on Colin, who absolutely loved it. The downside is that I'm still getting the hang of putting it on, so in the interests of preserving a few remaining braincells, a verrry tired Mummy would rather carry Colin in her arms than fiddle with loops and criss-crosses and tutorials. I ate my first dinner one-handed with a baby (Keith) on my lap, and true to his Hungry Hippo-esque persona, he watched me eat with rapt interest, eyeing each forkful, mouth agape.

So yes, yesterday was officially fired. Things crescendoed at around 2am when everyone presented me with a dirty diaper and very hungry dispositions. But, we persevered, and after our 15th rendition of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (it's got to have more than one verse?!) and their other favourite, the 60s Civil Rights anthem We Shall Overcome (it's on their Ipod playlist) everyone managed to drift off to sleep including me. In spite of it all, I wouldn't change it for the world.

We're operating on the premise that today must be a better day, and so far it seems to be heading in that direction. The sun is shining, the dog and Edward are out for a walk, babies are slumbering, laundry is done, the house is reasonably tidy and I'm having breakfast - what a novel concept! I'm basically down to one meal a day (dinner) with snacks grabbed when possible. While this isn't the best for breastmilk production, it is our reality - which reminds me, I must head off to pump before the 11am feed!

Pictures to follow... at some point ;) We finally got our camcorder, so we're hoping to upload a few videos, too.



1 comment:

  1. You need to make time or have someone head out and buy a crapload of different kinds of granola bars. The granola helps with milk production, and they are easy to eat while holding a baby and making a pass through the kitchen. I swear I lived on granola and oatmeal bars and cookies the first two months. (Oatmeal helps with milk production too). Make sure that you have a cup in the bathroom so that every time you go you can "fill up again" before you leave.

    Slings, I think, are better when the babies are a little older and not quite a squishy. I mean, they are so little at this point that it's not that hard to carry them around -- so by all means, carry them around. Also use those swings and bouncy chairs if you have them and they like them. I used to feel so guilty letting Morella sleep in one longer than hour -- for what? They don't care! They are sleeping.

    Also, on days after the one you described -- just spend the day in bed. Arrange the babies around you, nurse when you can, send out for bottles when you can't, and watch some TV or movies. Movies are good because you can pause ... it may take you a few hours to see one movie. But most of all, sleep when everyone is sleeping.

    Hang in there, you guys are doing great! One day at a time, and every day that passes you are one day closer to it getting a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete