Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Craft Project #1 - Mobiles!

The mobile project wasn't originally on the extensive laundry list of Things To Do, but I just couldn't find one on-line that I liked that wasn't well over the $150.00 mark. Then, in a serendipitous moment, I came across a very simple mobile on Ohdeedoh www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/nursery-tours/taryns-nursery-all-wrapped-upnursery-tour-124467 that caught my eye because it looked easily customizable and relatively easy to make. As Edward can attest, my crafting ambitions usually outweigh my abilities, so I try to keep it reasonable! Furthermore, they also included a source list, so I knew exactly where to get the necessary supplies.

I envision a similar set up to the one submitted on Ohdeedoh, but with one cluster of stars in each corner of the room. The cribs will be arranged in a "U" shape, and I'd like to position the mobiles so that each baby can see one or the other. While we won't be hanging them too low, once the babes are standing we may have to reconsider their placement.

I really liked the paper selection at www.paper-source.com, and I went with wrapping paper and tissue paper because I loved the sparkles! When I got the package, and took the star "sheets" out of their package, I was a little unsure how I would manage to attach the paper to the stars and still get the crisp lines I was after, so I tried two different techniques. In the first instance (the hearts), I made the star and then cut out each triangled side from the wrapping paper before gluing it in place. It turned out okay, but because I'm spatially challenged, I couldn't get the pattern to align and I wasn't thrilled with the results. Plus, it was a real pain cutting out and matching each side, as they didn't all mesh at the end-points. I then decided to try pre-folding the star, laying it flat again, gluing the paper and the refolding the star. Success!

They're grouped below as they will be placed in the nursery:




3 comments:

  1. Thanks! I still have to put the backs on, but I'm pretty happy to be (almost) done my first craft project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the stars... a lot! Sounds like too much work though. And here I was wondering what you'd be keeping yourself busy with? Silly me. Konrad

    ReplyDelete