Wednesday, August 18, 2010

26 week ultrasound

26 weeks!

Edward and I went for our 26 week ultrasound yesterday morning - Tuesday - which was a deviation from our regular Wednesday appointments. Consequently, we had another doctor, and a new nurse and ultrasound technician (although we've had a new technician each time anyways). Having a new group of professionals to deal with was actually quite a different experience, and despite the fact that they were all very nice, we both missed our regular OB and nurse! Further, the ultrasound technician *seemed* to be in a great mood as she hummed to herself, but she was quite uncommunicative and had me laying flat on my back to the point that I had to remove my glasses and hold them level with my nose to see the screen. It was a tiny bit uncomfortable...

In any case, the news continues to be good, to our great relief. My blood pressure was normal, and my cervix hasn't shortened (yay!) We live our lives in two week increments, waiting with bated breath for the results of the next bi-weekly appointment. That will change however, because after my 28 week appointment, I'll be going in weekly. They'll do the ultrasounds every two weeks, but the interim week will be for monitoring contractions and a general once-over. I'm looking forward to that, although I'm pretty much in there every week at this point with one concern or another!

The babies were extremely active yesterday, particularly embattled Baby C, who is now not only firmly entrenched in my ribs but due to the indignities inflicted by its siblings, is now literally bent into a "C" shape, with its toes to its head. Every time it feels any external pressure, it goes on a mini rampage in an effort to prevent any further encroachment on its diminishing territory. According to the technician, Baby C's "squished" position makes it very hard to collect the various measurements they use to estimate fetal weight (diameter of the head, abdomen and length of the femur). Despite the warning, Edward and I were initially quite concerned to hear that Baby C's estimated weight was 1lb 8 ounces, showing only a 3 ounce gain from our 24 week ultrasound. Conversely, according to her measurements, Baby B gained a colossal 9 ounces, and now sits at 2 lbs, which is almost twice as much as it was supposed to gain in the same period of time. Only Baby A seems to have gained an appropriate amount - 5 ounces - bringing it to 1lb 10 ounces.

We mentioned our concern to the new doctor, and he reminded us of the arbitrary means of collecting these measurements, noting that at this stage, the weights will not be as reliable as they would be later on when the babies' increased size makes them easier to measure. He also stated that all three fall within the "normal" range for singletons of the same gestational age and that all three have grown. We left reasonably reassured, but it's hard for me not to worry about these things!

From what the technician told us, and based on what I've read, Baby Cs (so named because they are the furthest from the exit), or Baby Bs in some twin pregnancies and Baby Ds with quads often get the short end of the stick because of their positioning. They tend to be smaller. Further, the measurements are quite unreliable, and also depend on the general body type of each baby... babies who are gangly and long or chubbier can throw off the measurements quite significantly. One lady I know through an on-line triplet pregnancy board told me that one of her babies was always measuring 9 ounces ahead in utero, but when he was born he was the smallest by a wide margin!

So, I guess we'll have to take all of this under advisement and continue forging ahead :) On Thursday I'm going for my gestational diabetes test. Many moms of multiples test positive - and my original OB expressed sympathy, stating that they will not alter the dosage to reflect my petite stature, thereby increasing the odds I'll also test positive. Ah well, yet another bridge to cross when we get there!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sandra,
    Mario passed on your blogsite address to me when I was asking if anyone had heard how you were doing. Very glad to hear that all is going well. We're thinking of you often around here as your date gets closer and closer.
    I can't believe the summer is almost over ... the rainy grey weather this weekend was quite a shift to a fall mood.... my husband starts back to school on Friday and the kids start Monday!
    Stay well.
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Frances! Thanks for dropping by :) Although I am rather large (and pretty useless) at this stage, I do miss coming in to work and having the support of our group to get me through some of these challenges. I miss you guys! I'm secretly looking forward to the Fall, as it means babies are imminent... and I haven't really had the opportunity to enjoy too much of the summer as it is. But I feel for those who have to head back to work and school - summer is always too short and too sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it great to wear all those maternity clothes...and then some? :D As of now you are 27 weeks...this is great. Rooting for you and the gang to get to 34...at least.

    ReplyDelete