Saturday, July 24, 2010

Heaven is... a pillowtop mattress!

For years, Edward and I have put up with the broken coils and lumpy nature of a cheap double mattress. We never gave it too much thought, actually, because we always knew that at some point we'd get a REAL bedroom set, and with it, a better mattress. Someday.

Well, that day couldn't come soon enough once I entered the second trimester. It turns out that "They" encourage pregnant women to sleep on their left side, because it allegedly supports better circulation to the uterus. Determined to follow this advice, I'd grit my teeth, beach myself on my left side and wake up several hours later with a pinched nerve that would radiate down my leg and make my knee feel, for lack of a better descriptor, like it was about to explode. Add to that the tossing and turning, the trips to the bathroom and you can imagine how much sleep Edward and I were getting. He never complained, but I could tell he was silently relieved when I'd finally admit defeat and trek downstairs to the living room couch. I can lean my full weight against the back of the couch, thereby relieving the troubled pressure points. I figured that the pain was one of those pregnancy things one just grins and bears, but the thought of enduring several more months of increasing discomfort was a little discouraging (as an aside, I should mention that my tummy circumference is now a shocking 42 inches!)

A few weekend ago, in what turned out to be a very well-timed weekend get-away, Edward and I used a very generous wedding gift card courtesy of my parents to enjoy two nights at the Chateau Montebello. I adore the place (and the setting), and we loved every moment we spent eating, swimming and lazing about. However, I quickly discovered that the super high-end hotel mattress was a cure for my pinched nerve. Upon our return to Ottawa, Edward and I marched to the store, bought a pillowtop queen mattress and low profile boxspring (keeping our new bed's configuration in mind) and anxiously counted down the days until its arrival.

The delivery truck showed up five minutes before we were supposed to be at dinner with friends last Friday. They quickly observed that the low profile boxspring wouldn't fit up the stairs, and although they offered us a regular split boxspring instead, we declined it because it wouldn't fit our new (as of yet undelivered) bed. I actually felt a certain amount of sorrow when the truck pulled away with our precious mattress on-board - we found out later that the store was offering to LEND us the regular split boxspring until they could deliver the low profile split, but this was lost in translation with the driver.

Finally, on Thursday, at exactly the same time as our bedroom set pulled up to the curb, our mattress and boxspring arrived! It's been heavenly - certainly the best money we've spent in a long time. The bedroom set is lovely, too, but although it takes the cake aesthetically, the mattress has won my enduring love :)

No comments:

Post a Comment