Wednesday, April 1, 2015

What We've Been Up To...

I probably say this every year, but we are finally emerging a little from our enforced winter hibernation.  Today, we actually have above zero temperatures AND sun.  We've been sneaking into the plus side of the thermometer, but that's been bringing precipitation, so this turn of events is much anticipated and appreciated.  

Someone asked my mother, with a hint of incredulity, how we've managed to keep the kids entertained indoors over the course of the very long and very cold winter we experienced.  First, I am grateful that we finished the basement to the point where the kids can play down there comfortably, and let off a little steam.  On sunnier afternoons, they played in the living room.  And The Ducklings are also starting to play on their own, so one of them will often disappear to the playroom upstairs.  The upshot of it, is that we still need a play space on every floor of the house.  Particularly after a long day at school, it is very helpful for each of The Ducklings to find some quiet space to recharge and regroup; their "alone time".  I can't pretend that I'm not looking forward to the reclamation of my living and dining room, but I know that's a few years off.



Evelyn and her tower


Malcolm selfie


Bunny tunnel and enticing carrot


The Car Show, that they attended with Edward and Malcolm's godfather, Martin.  The Ducklings walked out the front door at 9am, and came back at 2.  I think I saw a glimpse of my future, and it was rather appealing.  Malcolm and I went swimming.


Quiet, after dinner construction


Right.  So, should you ever find yourself house-bound with 4 small children for 5 months:  blocks.  As many as you can find.  There will be violent altercations over who has the most blocks, the biggest blocks, all the red blocks, one more block than someone else -which is always the block needed to complete the masterpiece - and there might be little brothers continually running away with the sole clocktower, but I consider all of that exercise...

1 comment:

  1. Blocks are good! Like WAY amazing good! Lego-y goodness rules at our house these days. (Lego Friends is the best thing since sliced white I think... either that or Minecraft!) I sympathize with the "keeping them entertained through the long, cold winter" and heavens knows, it's been a miserably crappy winter!! Too cold to go out (for much of it) and just miserable in general. I'm so done with this white stuff. Bring on the heat! Yikes!
    Just letting you know I still read (now and then!) and it's good to see you post. Sending hugs to you all from our end of the city!

    ReplyDelete