Saturday, October 18, 2014

Dance Class

I decided to enrol Evelyn in a City of Ottawa pre-ballet class every Saturday in the early afternoon.  It's been a bit hit or miss - today, she refused to do 90% of the class - but overall, I think it's a positive experience for her.  She finally warmed up just before the end of class, and managed to show Miss Candace first position with her feet to earn a sticker.  She's a little shy about expressing herself through movement, and told me that she "doesn't know how to learn dance".  I really hope this will gently help her get passed that feeling.  In my opinion, nothing is more liberating than allowing yourself to really dance.  Especially to your own drummer.

I was in dance class from the time I was 4 until I finally gave up at 18.  I went to a well reputed dance studio in town, and although I LOVED to dance (and still do!) I wasn't great at following a choreography or dancing in a group.  I spent a lot of time feeling discouraged and overlooked.  It took me a long time to find my groove, in every sense.  But for me, dancing is still an absolutely essential part of who I am.

All this to say that I wasn't overly keen on the "dance studio" model for Evelyn.  The City of Ottawa program is a perfect fit.  The instructor is fully qualified, but the atmosphere isn't competitive or pushy.  Of course, getting dressed up like a ballerina every week is definitely a big part of the draw:


Colin took one look at her as she got dressed in the kitchen and stated "Evelyn, you look beautiful".  That might have been her favourite moment of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment